Ophthalmologist Serving Fayetteville, Clinton, Wilmington, Hope Mills & Raleigh, NC
Myopia, commonly referred to as nearsightedness, occurs when the cornea of the eye is too steep. Thus, light does not properly reflect onto the retina and distance vision is diminished.
Patients with advanced cases of myopia or certain vision conditions may not be candidates for LASIK vision correction. However, the Visian Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) offers a revolutionary vision correction option for these patients.
The Visian ICL works in a similar manner as a traditional contact lens to correct myopia. However, the Visian ICL is not placed on top of the eye. The Visian ICL is implanted inside of the eye, for permanent and convenient vision correction.
The Visian ICL has many advantages over traditional contact lenses as well.
- The lens is permanent and requires no maintenance. You will never have to worry about cleaning the lens, tearing the lens, losing the lens or removing the lens while you sleep. If your vision changes, the Visian ICL may be removed or replaced.
- It is made of Collamer, a 100% natural and pure collagen material which is biocompatible with your body’s immune system. Thus, your eyes will adapt quickly and easily to the Visian ICL.
- Visian ICL offers a wider range of treatment options for myopic (nearsighted) patients who are not candidates for other vision correction procedures.
- The lens is placed behind the iris, or the colored part of the eye, so the lens is completely invisible to you and to any observer.
- The Visian ICL has been used to treat over 55,000 eyes worldwide and has a proven record for safety. The Visian ICL works with your eye’s natural lens. The natural lens is not removed. Plus, no corneal tissue is removed or lifted during the procedure. Thus, the procedure requires minimal downtime.
ARE YOU A CANDIDATE FOR THE VISIAN ICL?
Generally, to be a candidate for the Visian ICL, one must:
- be at least 18 years of age,
- have an advanced case of myopia (nearsightedness) and or a refractive error which cannot be corrected satisfactorily with LASIK
- have a stable refractive error (meaning that your prescription for corrective lenses has not drastically changed in the past year)
- have healthy eyes and corneas.
To find out if you are a candidate for the Visian ICL, schedule a refractive consultation at Carolina Vision Center. Dr. Michael Woodcock and our team will perform a thorough examination of your eyes and determine the best option for your vision correction. To schedule a refractive consultation, call us at (910) 485-3937.